Friday, 29 March 2013

Behind the Scenes: Sushi

Anyone who knows me knows that I love me some sushi.

I have always liked trying foods that others considered weird of yucky. My love of seafood stems from that as well: a lot of seafood may look strange, which puts many people off, but I was keen to try it when I was younger and still love it. Mussels, crab, lobster – I’ll have it. During my school days a Korean classmate offered me a packet of what he called fried snake. I tried it just because it was different, but today I am fairly sure there was no snake involved in the making of that Korean snack at all. Shame. It though had been quite a thrill!
Some years ago I finally had the chance to try decent sushi. It was something I had wanted to have for a long time. One bite at the new sushi bar and I was hooked! So it is no surprise that I would experiment with sushi made out of polymer clay as well.

My first attempts weren’t quite as good, but they were okay:
There are lots of tutorials available on the net and I was fascinated by the way others managed to make those little grains of rice that made it all look so real. It turned out to be easier than I thought, but it takes a long time to make one roll/cane of sushi. I don’t make them often, but they are certainly worth it.
Now you can get my little sushi creations as stitch markers, earrings and necklaces. And whenever I got out for sushi now, I make sure I am wearing my earrings too.

No comments:

Post a Comment