Friday, 1 March 2013

Behind the Scenes: Absolutely Bollywood

It's the first of March and spring is almost here (even though you wouldn't know it looking out the window)! The perfect time to introduce a new feature: a series of blog posts that will take you behind the scenes of Abso-knitting-lutely to give you an idea of what influences my work and to explain what goes around in my head from time to time.  

The best place to start is here, with my hand-dyed lace yarn Absolutely Bollywood:
There is a story behind the name of this colourway. We probably all associate the Indian subcontinent with a riot of strong, intense colours and I tend to name my most colourful yarns in ways that evoke the atmosphere of the place. Absolutely Bollywood may not be the most in-your-face colourway, but it immediately reminded me of Bangladesh.

As you may know, I spent part of my childhood there between the ages of 7 and 12, going to school, absorbing the language, culture, images, tastes and smells. Now, one thing that you will aways find in every household on any special occasion is mishti, sweetmeats of all kinds. Someone would go out to a shop and buy their favourite mishti and return with a dark blue cardboard box tied with pink string. So when I held the just-dyed yarn in my hands, that is what I saw, a mishti packet! I still can't believe how true the colours are.

Although I have not been back to Bangladesh since 1990, the memories are still there and impact my work from time to time.

What influences your work? I am sure there are many stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment