Thursday, 13 December 2012

Liebster Award Nomination, or: How to While Away Half an Hour


Questions for my Nominees:

                                              Here are the Rules for Nominees:
1. List 11 facts about yourself.
2. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
3. Create 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate for the award.
4. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate.
5. Go to each bloggers page and let them know about the award.
6. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.

Charlene from Creative Awakening nominated me for the Liebster Award, and even though I don't like these kind of chain mail type things (even though they masquerade as "awards" and are just meant to generate more views) I thought it would be a fun interlude for once. I will do my best to answer though I must say I am in a contrary mood tonight!

***

Eleven facts about me:

-  I am half German, half Bangladeshi and grew up in both countries.
-  I got a PhD because I loved the subject, not because I wanted to do something with it.
-  I wrote a book that's been published.
-  I am a damn good short fiction writer and poet, I have been told.
-  I taught myself to knit using online tutorials.
-  Fellow students wrote about me in our school-leaving magazine that I was most likely to move to the UK. 12 years later that's just what I did.
-  I am an extremely fast learner and especially good with crafts.
-  Basically, I believe I can do whatever I set my mind to.
-  The farthest country I have been to is New Zealand, right in-between the first two LOTR films.
-  I was in Canada for 15 minutes. Plus 30 in the traffic jam between Canada and the US.
-  I met my boyfriend in a chat room.
-  I woud like to learn Maori (and a slew of other languages).

 ***
And on to the questions:

1. If you could be anything for a day, what would it be?
 I would be a famous writer known and revered for her literary skill, innovation and knowledge of the craft. That's what I always wanted to be so it would be nice to experience that kind of a life.

2. What is the kindest thing that you didn't tell anyone?
I can't think of anything and doubt I ever did anything extraordinarily kind. Perhaps I did and forgot about it. You never know. If I did, it was probably a small, simple gesture that meant a lot to someone.

3. Do you have any regrets in life?
Ask me again at the end of it. I tend not to dwell on things I may not have achieved quite the way I wanted to. What will be will be.

4. What animals inspire you? What animal would you be and why?
Humans. I quite like being pretty high up on the food chain, actually.

5. Tell us about your pets.
We aren't allowed pets in our flat, but I used to have two gerbils before moving here and would love to have some again. I have seen how people keep gerbils here in the UK and am appalled. Mine had a darn good life! Sadly, they died shortly before my move to the UK (though that was very practical of them too because I couldn't take them with me).

6. Did you ever not tell anyone you loved them even though they did? What happened?
No. I'm no Penny.

7. What song speaks to who you are and your soul?
It depends on my mood and my circumstances. I must admit there were more suitable songs in my teens than now in adulthood since we tend not to need moral support through song lyrics at some stage in our lives. Also, I haven't listened to music in ages, though I like Adele a lot, especially her song "Someone like you".

8. How many languages do you speak?
Fluently? Two: German and English. Probably followed by French. Then I know some other languages I learnt at various stages, but would like to refresh to be able to converse in again: Dutch, Bangla, Spanish, Italian, Russian (though I am not keen on this one), Elvish (oh yes...). And a refresher in Anglo-Saxon would be lovely!

9. What do you think makes up the human spirit?
Define spirit. I suspect that's what you are asking me! I have no idea. To me what people refer to as spirit or soul is simply character. Therefore it differs from person to person.

10. If someone gave you a million dollars for a day - what would you do with it?
Well, I would enjoy a whole day and night doing the things I love with the one I love. We wouldn't need that much money, actually. So as not to lose any time, we'd stay in the area, probably go to a spa, have a lovely dinner at our favourite restaurant, and that's probably it. So I guess it is a fairly normal date night, really. Huh, that surprised even me.

11. If YOU were on a boat in the middle of the ocean with two horrible people who killed each other and yourself, what would you do to keep your spirit from dying? 
Given my definition of the spirit/soul, this would be a rather pointless thing to do - not to mention impossible. Besides, there is nothing after death. Anyway, I thought the soul never dies? What kind of spiritual belief system is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment