Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Group Dyeing

That sounds weird, I know. 

In our German Random Acts of Kindness group on Ravelry, we decided to do some group dyeing online. Angel1313 and I did this before, more or less by chance, and we had a great time chatting online while dyeing our respective skeins, asking about colour combinations and the best technique. We enjoyed it so much that we agreed to do it again sometime, but we never got round to it.

Then a few days ago Angel asked me if I would like to dye again. Luckily, I had just bought two skeins of undyed BFL sock yarn and some more Hue & Dye acid dyes and was ready to give it another go. Angel then had the idea to invite others from the group to join us and so we spent this morning and the early afternoon playing around with colours and yarn. 

I hadn't tried Hue & Dye before so I was curious to see how it would turn out. I must say I very much prefer the German Sewo-Color acid dyes and will try to import some next time. The dyes were much richer and glowing. One skein was meant to be white, turquoise and ultramarine, but the white all but disappeared during microwaving. Oops! Still, the colour is lovely and reminds me of the sea, as I had hoped it would. I shall call it Sea Breeze.
I tried to replicate my peacock-coloured yarn, but ended up with something far less brilliant in every way. Not bad, just duller. Ah well. It's called Deep-Sea-Diving.
All in all, there were a number of different techniques being used in the group: we used acid dyes, easter egg dyes and natural dyes. Some used the microwave, others the oven or a simple pot. All results were lovely to look at and we all have skeins of different shades hanging out to dry right now. Seing how hot it's been lately, it shouldn't take long for them all to dry.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I think I'd like to try the microwave method. I think your Deep-Sea-Diving is beautiful! I can totally see it as socks. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The microwave idea is rather new to mme too, but it is so much quicker and easier, I think. Definitely give it a go!

    My skeins have now dried and the colours have become lighter, which, in the case of Deep-Sea Diving means that it doesn't resemble a peacock shade at all anymore. Oh dear. I think I will use even more dye next time to make the colours deeper and more intense.

    ReplyDelete