Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Being a Yarn Snob



Without warning, I have turned into a yarn snob.

I am not sure how it happened, other than gradually. When I started knitting, I did not have access to any good wool shops, so I made do with the cheapest possible yarn I could get – which was 100% acrylic. In fact, I still have the first socks I ever made in that yarn and a pair of nice fingerless gloves.

Then I moved to the UK and suddenly had access to a much better shop selling all manner of yarn, some of which I hadn’t even heard of. Until then I didn’t even know how expensive wool could be! From then on, I never bought acrylic again, not even as a blend. I just don’t like the feel of it anymore though the yarn can be very soft. Mostly, though, it feels like plastic to me, so I just don’t use it.

So once I realised not too long ago that I actually look down on anything that is not 100% pure wool of some sort, I also realised I was a yarn snob. Unfortunately, it means that I seem to look down on people who do not use pure wool, which shocks me. I certainly haven’t got much money, but instead of buying the cheaper yarn, I will wait till either my birthday or Christmas to get the good stuff if I can’t afford it at any other time. Also, I have been lucky enough to know people who are willing to do swaps, so it is fairly easy to get good quality despite having hardly any money. To my mind, therefore, there is no excuse for using anything but the best. (Granted, you probably won’t be able to get the large quantities needed for a jumper or a similarly large project, which is why I have only ever knitted one to date.)

Of course there are lovely expensive yarns I would love to have, but can’t. However, I will never go back to acrylic unless it were blended with sock yarn. Never. It’s tough being a yarn snob sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I have never bought any acrylics, I have been a yarn snob from the beginning .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! good to know. :D I think we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being warned by a very nice lady, just as I was learning to spin, that doing so would break me forever as a knitter. Never again would I look at a yarn in quite the same way, rellishing the colour, the fiber etc... instead I'd be stuck thinking what if they'd used this breed of sheep instead, why didn't they do that as a three-ply, why on earth have they underplied it so much etc. You know what, she was right :) Here's to being a constructive yarn snob... life is too short for bad yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, you are so much more advanced in ll things fibre. :D I am only just discovering different breeds, and not many of them at all. Right now I am finally working on the baby camel/silk fibre I got at Wonderwool and I am so glad I started it on a supported spindle! It has such a short staple length, and now I also know why people wear spinning aprons!

    ReplyDelete