Monday, 30 January 2012

My First Supported Spindle

LucyJ on Ravelry recently sold some of her spindles since she mainly used her wheel instead. As soon as I saw her Russian made of beautiful Mexican rosewood, I knew I had to have it. The price was good as it was secondhand and I knew the maker (IST) is great, so I couldn't go wrong there. What I wasn't sure about at all was whether I would be able to use a supported spindle in the first place.

Since I only ever used drop spindles before, I couldn't quite imagine how this would work. I searched for suitable videos to give me an idea and though it looked fairly easy, I wasn't convinced I could make it look as good. This was the most helpful video I found:


It shows very clearly how to get started, which is the most important thing, in my opinion. Nothing is more frustrating (and more difficult) than trying to get the leader going. Once you get the hang of it, it's all right.

Once the spindle arrived, I was reluctant to try it right away, which is unusual and shows just how convinced I was I would fail. That evening I finally gave it a go: I got my plait of Krafty Koala's merino and silk blend that I bought at Fibre Fest last year and simply got going. And it worked! Right from the start! I was and still am amazed how easily I took to spinning with a supported spindle. The photo shows the result of that evening's spinning.

I've not found any nice spindle bowls, oddly enough. There don't seem to be many made in the UK. For now I am using a cermamic bowl that's actually for dips, but I will go to a kitchenware shop soon to find a smaller bowl. It will do. Actually, I quite like the one I am currently using, even though the spindle sometimes slips around in it when I forget about it.

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting. I love the look of supported spindles. So, what is the advantage compared to a drop spindle? Is the supported spindle better for spinning thinner threads?

    ReplyDelete