Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Jaywalker Socks


It took me more than two years to finally get around to making these socks! I was waiting for the right yarn and was lucky enough to receive this one from a friend as a Secret Santa gift from the US. The yarn is Jo-Ann Sensations Bamboo and Ewe Pattern (colourway 2280), which I happen not to be able to get in the UK, it seems. A few people at the knitting club have commented on the yarn and I have had to disappoint them because I haven't found a place here that sells it.

The pattern itself is very simple and straightforward so that you can knit it while watching TV or doing whatever else will keep you occupied. You really need stripy yarn to bring out the zigzag pattern. I used 2.5 mm DPNs and only knit the small size socks despite having very wide feet. The needle suggestion for this yarn was smaller, so choosing slightly larger needles was the right decision for me.

So what's up next? I'm not entirely sure. I still have to sew the teddy together, which I am reluctant to do because the eyelash yarn means I can't actually see what I am doing. I don't want to ruin it - once I've made a stitch, that's it, I can't undo it because I can't see it. So far, the teddy looks really good and I especially like its face which turned out much better than I expected. Apart from this, I may start a tank top with a new yarn I bought from Ann at the knitting club. It probably isn't enough even for a tank, but you never know. And finally, there is still the cast-on edge of a jumper I started a bit ago. Hm, decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment