Thursday, 29 January 2009

WIP: Chevrolace

As I wait for Mark to arrive sometime today after his booked flight has been canceled, I might as well post an update to show you what I've been doing lately. For a few days last week I designed a sock pattern that consists of traditional Maori designs. There doesn't seem to be any such thing around, so I've had to invent my own pattern. It had proved to be quite fun and I will have to make a few adjustments later on. At first I started knitting it with the yarn above, but the pattern didn't come through at all and I decided to use a different kind another time.

So I have put it aside for now and am knitting up some Chevrolace socks that have been on my list for at least a year already (but I am knitting them from the top down contrary to instructions). I must say that I've not seen any of these that look nearly as good as the ones featured in the original pattern on Knitty. My own won't be quite as nice either, I assume, since the variegated yarn distracts from the lace. This is a bit disappointing, but I don't mind too much because I plan to finally knit a split toe section so that I can wear these with my flipflops in spring. I've been wanting to try that for some time too.

In other news, I've worn my Mojos with shoes for the first time - normally, I do not wear handknitted socks in my shoes at all because they are ust too pretty - and that was a mistake. Due to the friction they look quite felted on the sole and back of the heel! Argh! I hate that. I guess this means I won't be wearing any of my good socks with shoes again.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the maori sock pattern!!!
    Chevrolace is really a nice stitch pattern. But I must admit that I don't like flip flops at all .. ;)
    Hope you two are having a wonderful time! ;)

    ReplyDelete