Monday, 15 December 2008

A Surprise Gift and a Sock in the Making

Today I woke up to find a package from England at the door. At first I thought it was the Secret Santa gift that should be arriving soon, but the writing on the envelope looked suspiciously like Mark's, only neater. As it happens, his parents sent it! So that is why they asked him for my address - I thought they were just going to send a card.

Even though I tried very hard to wait till Christmas before unwrapping, I gave in after all of 5 minutes. The older I get, the more impatient I become, it seems. Mark must have given his parents some ideas of things I like because it was all exactly right: there was a box of Twinnings tea, a small Wentworth Wooden Jigsaw of Bath Abbey whose pieces are fun and unusual (there is a snowflake, a bunny, teddy, even a Santa!), and finally there is also a knitting kit.

I've not made a bag yet though I do have a pretty pattern from Ravelry. I think I will use the kit's material to make a heart-shaped pillow I have had in mind for a while. Since I used similar yarn for my grandmother's pillowcase a while ago, I know how pretty and soft those are. I will keep the handles for another bag instead. That's me being resourceful again and making two gifts out of one! I hope Mark's parents don't mind.

Those 7 mm needles are fun - I don't know why they amuse me so much. I've already got a pair of 8 mm needles from my mother's collections ince she doesn't knit anymore and I find them equally entertaining just to hold. I'm odd. But back on topic: this was a lovely surprise gift that I had no idea was coming my way. I will certainly enjoy all of it.

And finally there is a small WIP that I have not yet named because I don't know what it's going to be other than another pair of socks made from my very fine 3-ply merino (Hamburger Wollfabrik). This is the yarn that was left from the Marie-Noelle fingerless gloves and it looks like I will still have some left after the socks! It's really a lot of yarn. Since it is very fine, the knitting will take longer than usual, but I am really looking forward to the final result.

At this point I haven't decided on a particular pattern because I don't know how many stitches I will have in a round yet. I want to add a cable pattern on the sides of the foot like the one the Firestarter pattern has. Since I have knitted those before, I want different, perhaps more elaborate cables. The heels will be the same Eye of the Partridge kind I made for my Mojos, but leg pattern will have to wait till I get there. So much to knit, so little time!

1 comment:

  1. It's so wonderful to get unexpected gifts. I am curious about the bag you'll make!

    ReplyDelete