Sunday, 9 November 2008

Swallowtail (blocked)

Of course the day I finish blocking my Swallowtail is the day after the sunshine. As a result, the images aren’t of the best quality, but I shall add new ones as soon as the sun comes out again and I can take pictures outdoors. Also, please ignore that there seems to be a missing peak towards the end – I didn’t notice it was flipped under the shawl when I laid it out on the floor. Rest assured that nothing is missing.

Taking out the pins once the shawl was dry was a very exciting moment since it was the first time I could see it properly. It turned out so much better than I thought it might and I am very proud of the result. I can’t wait to wear my Swallowtail on Wednesday when I go Christmas shopping! It looks great with the beads and the colours go together ver well too. The beads weigh down the shawl only a little bit, which is a very comfortable feeling when wearing it.

In the end I blocked it all on a wire through the top and using pins for the rest. All in all, my Swallowtail is 2m wide! I could have stretched it even more, but the couch I blocked it on wasn't big enough. As it is, it is lovely and I am glad, actually, that I couldn't make it quite as large as planned. Having 10 extra repeats of the budding lace pattern was quite enough. All the work was certainly worth the effort, seeing how well it turned out despite a few mistakes. Even if you look closely, you are unlikely to see them.

My next large lace project will have to wait for bit, however. I want to have more leisure to do it, as it will take some time to finish. All in all, I needed a month to finish this one, though that includes time I spent knitting parts I had to frog in the end. Unfortunately, those parts were the bits that took longest too. But, as I said, I am very happy with my Swallowtail and shall wear it proudly!

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Nadia!

    Dein Swallowtail ist wunderschön geworden, ein dickes Kompliment an dich!

    Liebe Grüße, Christiane

    ReplyDelete