Monday, 1 September 2008

A Hamburger Wollfabrik Experience

Today my order from the Hamburger Wollfabrik arrived! Two cones of extra-fine 3-ply merino wool. The violet yarn is for myself while the dark red is going to be knit into a present for Marie at some point. I already have a pair of fingerless gloves in mind for her, though I assume the pattern will be my own improvisation. I am not sure what I will make of the violet yarn yet - originally, I had ordered it to make socks, but since it is very thin I might try to do something more lacy than that. But there is still time.

When I placed the order, I wasn't sure whether to choose 3- or 4-ply. I looked up my favourite merino yarn and found out that it had been 4-ply and rather thick. So I chose 3-play, which is too thin here, now that I can see it. It can't be helped now and I like it all anyway, so it's staying in my stash.

I am, however, not impressed with the Hamburger Wollfabrik as such. They do sell very good yarn for a very low price, so I will remain one of their customers, but their online shop needs improving as well as their service. I had to email them two times to give me their bank details so that I could pay them before they could send my packet to me. That took quite long, all in all. Also, their website is quite basic and some things just don't work. For instance, I have an account there, but can no longer access it for some reason. That, too, delayed payment.

Another thing that I thought odd was that they gave me more than I asked for. I had ordered 100g of each yarn, but got 120g and 130g, respectively. Of course that cost me more than expected too. They never asked me if it was okay and there is no reason they would do this, as far as I can see. Had it cost me much more, I would have had to cancel my order.

Their yarns always come on cones, it seems. Unfortunately, even though I asked for each yarn to be divided into 50g-batches, this was impossible. That makes knitting a little difficult if I can't weigh it. I don't like the idea of running out of yarn towards the end of a sock.

We shall see how it goes. I have too many WIPs at the moment to start something new with the merino yarn. I am really looking forward to it though! It's just going to take ages to get anything done, seeing how thin it is.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful colours! And thanks for letting us know your experience with the Hamburger Wollfabrik. It's really annoying to send more yarn than ordered as well as are all the other "problems". :(
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete