Thursday, 5 June 2008

Six Weeks in Bath - A Day in Brislington

It's been a while since I posted. I was on visiting Mark in Bath and spent six weeks in what has become my favourite city in England. While there I took the opportunity to buy new yarn, especially some Koigu which I haven't been able to find in Germany yet. On my birthday, Mark took me to Get Knitted in Brislington which is so very different from my local yarn shops! It looked rather shabby from outside, but the inside is very spacious and I coldn't get enough of all the colours. So much yarn! I have never seen that much before. I wish I had a place like that near me.

All in all I bought:
  • KnitPicks 2 mm DPNs
  • KnitPicks 3 mm interchangables
  • 2 skeins each of 2 Koigu KPPPM yarn (green and purple)
  • 2 skeins Sirdar Blur
  • 1 skein Noro Kureyon sock yarn (just loved the colours)
The needles were necessary! I have very few of my own since most are either my mother's or grandma's. I have got a set of KNitPicks interchangeables (Harmony) already so I wanted to get a smaller sized metal pair as well. The DPNs are coming in handy when knitting with the Noro yarn since it is rather thin.


I simply love the Koigu yarns! It was a hard choice, but the purple caught my eye from the start. I had to have it, and since I couldn't resist the temptation, I bought another two skeins in green. By now I have made a pair of socks from the purple one and I must say that it is a pleasure to knit with this yarn. It is smooth and soft and allows for quick knitting. Not to mention the wonderful colours. The purple is my favourite by far and somehow I wish I could frog the socks and just keep on knitting with it!

Sirdar Blur was a cheap alternative to the Rowan Kid Silk Haze that I had in mind for a present for Mark's mum. I do like Rowan, but the price has kept me from buying any so far. The day I went to the shop, Rowan did not have the right colours I was looking for either, so I settled for Sirdar instead. It is not quite as fine as I had hoped, but it makes nice light items as well. I still have about half of a skein left (see below) and am wondering what to make out of it. My fingers are itching to do something nice.

Noro Kureyon was a chance buy, actually. I had wanted to get another Noro yarn that turned out not to look as nice in reality as it did online. Instead, this one caught my eye, mainly because of the lovely colours. I had no idea how it would look once knitted - a problem I always have, which usually keeps me from buying anything with too contrasting colours -, but I loved the combination so much that I went ahead and bought it after some debating. It wasn't cheap, but I am glad I did it.

Get Knitted is jsut one of the many things I miss now that I am no longer in Bath. But one day I will get back, and maybe to stay.

1 comment:

  1. My English teacher at Inlingua language school originated from Bath and that's why I always wanted to know how Bath might be. :) I should go there sometime in the future, especially for the yarn. :)
    BTW, I have found you through Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete