Friday, 6 June 2008

Nutkin With a Twist




Oh yes, it is a twisted Nutkin! Why? Because I have the same problem that many other knitters have with this sock: the unwanted twist along the leg. But first things first.

Material:
  • 2 skeins Koigu KPPPM
  • 2.5 mm DPNs
I used Knitzi's Nutkin pattern (pdf), which is easily memorised and a pleasure to knit. It is ideal for keeping busy while watching television, I find. This pair came into being while watching the current Doctor Who series, various auction shows, The Apprentice, property development shows, and others. The result is very satisfying even though I have read elsewhere that the sock twists due to the pattern, and so does mine. However, it only twists around the leg, which isn’t too bad. I still like them.

I knitted these from the toe up since that is my preferred method, using my favourite toe and heel so that I only used the actual cable-like pattern from the instructions. I noticed that an 8-st-cast on is a bit too small here because the toe is a bit too pointy even when I wear the sock. Not too big a deal, but something worth remembering for the future when knitting with Koigu yarn, perhaps. Apart from that the socks fit well and are stretchier than most others I knitted previously.

A note on the images: they are clearer if viewed in original size. Click to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment