Friday, 13 June 2008

Dragonflies on My Feet

Dragonfly was the first pair of socks I ever made and they remain one of my favourite and perhaps even the comfiest socks I ever knit. The yarn is very cheap and the kind I used most often for my first projects, but I still like to use it today.

Materials:
  • 2.5 mm DPNs
  • 100g Fabiani Balu (red)
  • darning needle to sew in ends
  • stitchmarker to mark beginning
The lace pattern is very easily done and memorised. I recommend knitting these while watching TV or listening to the radio or an audiobook. I only started the lace pattern once I began the leg as I didn't feel confident enough at the time to begin what I thought might be a complicated pattern so early on. The pattern is reminiscent of a number of dragonflies, hence the name.


I experimented quite a bit with this pattern in the end and knit a different toe, foot and heel altogether. That is because I used the bits I was most comfortable with knitting as a beginner. The Dutch heel I used here is a nightmare - I couldn't stand it then and I couldn't stand it now. I never tried it again, which has probably saved me some nerves. Instead of the simple ribbed cuff, I chose a picot edge, which was also a first for me. It looks lovely, though it is not terribly stretchy. This picot tutorial can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, they are great. When I have finished my sweater (which is the case hopefully soon, I am tired of knitting it ...), I will try out easy socks without a lace pattern or something. But then, I would love to start lacy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lace! I never thought I would, but I really do. It keeps the knitting interesting because you are alway doing different stitches.

    The babydoll I am making now will have lace too. I can't wait to start on it! I will be using some of the patterns from the new book I got.

    ReplyDelete