Thursday, 5 June 2008

Belated Summer Socks


A belated post about socks I made in winter. By now they are just in time for summer, luckily. To make these, I frogged an old pair of store-bought socks that was made of worsted weight yarn - way too thick for the pattern I used in the end, but I had really had enough of those winter socks and needed to do something about them.

Material:
  • 2.5 mm DPNs
  • worsted weight yarn from two old socks
I used Angela Mühlpfordt's pattern for summer eyelet socks (German), an easy pattern that looks far better with normal sock yarn in nice solid colours, I think. Originally, I set out to knit a pair for myself, a European size 39. However, I did not consider that the yarn would of course influence how big the final item would be and therefore just went ahead, knitting happily on, and ended up with a pair of huge socks... Luckily, they turned out to be just the right size for Mark and the pair was posted off to England as part of his birthday present. I had forgotten to take a photo before posting, but on my last visit I managed to make Mark pose for me. Or at least his feet.


Despite the thick yarn, the socks aren't too warm and ideal for wearing indoors when it is cold, but not freezing. With sock yarn I would imagine they are nice and airy and perfect with sandals.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely need socks like these. I will have to learn knitting socks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother always hated knitting socks so I was a bit worried I might as well. Luckily, I loved it from the start! It's not nearly as hard as I was told, so go ahead and give it a try if you want to. :)

    ReplyDelete