Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Red Marigold


It's a beautiful pattern. And such a nightmare to knit! This hat caused me a lot of headache, but it was well worth it, if you ask me.

Materials:
  • 1 skein Fabiani Balu
  • 4 mm circular needles
  • 4 mm DPNs
  • patience
  • a good eye for detail
It is a good idea to havea lifeline while knitting because you really don't want to frog a few rows only to find you have no idea where you are in this complicated lace pattern. I had to knit 5 instead of three repeats since I'm a bit big-headed, whichever way you look at it. Perhaps 4 would have been enough, come to think of it, but as I was unable to block knitting of that shape at the time, I didn't have the usual stretch that you get from this lace.

The trouble I had with this hat were mainly due to mistakes in rows that required frogging in the end. In the top photo you can still see a mistake in the second repeat that isn't quite straight. in addition, I tried to made an edge with eyelash yarn that just looked terrible in the end, so I had to undo that too. By now I don't even know exactly how often I had to start over! It was far too often, that's for sure.

In the end, though, I was very happy I didn't give it up because it is a very beautiful hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment