Saturday, 5 April 2008

Little Leaves Socks


For some reason I really like knitting socks. Actually, I shouldn't because I never heard someone say that socks were fun to knit before I began doing so myself. My mother used to complain about them and avoided socks at all costs. My grandmother made them once in a while, but she also said it was complicated. So when I decided to give it a try myself, I wasn't expecting it to work, let alone for me to like it. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised and socks have always been one of my favourite items to knit.
This particular pair wasn't knit according to a certain pattern. I simply started out at the toe, using my favourite kind, increasing till I got 60 sts. From then on, I made the foot, added my favourite kind of gusset and heel. Once this was done, the fun began and I was able to start on the leg pattern. I found it online during a random search and, unfortunately, I do not remember where I got it from and was unable to note down the name. So far I haven't been able to find it again. I do have the pattern written down, however.


Materials:
  • 1-2 skeins of Fabiani Balu (red)
  • 1-2 skeins of Fabiani Balu (black)
  • 2.5 mm DPNs

Little leaf pattern:


This pattern is worked on 61 sts, so if you had 60 sts to knit the foot like I did, then you increase by one before beginning the pattern.

Row 1: k1 *yo k3 sl1 k2tog psso k3 yo k1*
Row 2: k across

Rows 3-6: repeat rows 1 and 2 three times.

Row 7: k2tog k3 yo k1 yo k3 *sl1 k2tog psso k3 yo k1 yo k3* Repeat to last 2 sts of the row. Knit the last two as follows: sl1 k1 psso.

Row 8: k across

Rows 9-12: repeat rows 7 and 8 three times.


Knit this pattern to desired length. The original pattern said to end with row 1, but I ended with row 8 instead as I thought it looked better.

To finish the cuff, I knit 6 more rows. Since I find normal ribbing to be a boring way to end the sock, I added a picot edge that is different from the folded picot edge I made before. With the current one I have a stretchier edge that fits better around my legs.

Block if you like and you're ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment