Tuesday, 15 April 2008

A Cabled Owl

You can tell that I like a design if I am willing to knit it again just to take a photo. This owl pot holder is one of them and, besides, it is an easy and quick knit too.


Materials:
  • 100% cotton yarn
  • 5 mm needles
  • cable needle

I made the original pot holder in blue for my grandmother's birthday because she said she needed new pot holders. I looked for a nice patter and managed to find Janelle Schlossman's Diagonal Owl Dishcloth on Ravelry, one of the very few patterns I liked. I particularly liked the owl, of course, since I had a thing about owls for a long time. I am still amazed by how simple this pattern really is and how the cables lend themselves so perfectly for the bird's shape.

Since I forgot to take a photo of the original blue pot holder, I knit it again in red within an hour or two, shot the picture, and frogged the whole thing again since I want to use the yarn for more flowers. Ideally, you will use a 100% cotton yarn particularly made for such a project. Since I didn't want to buy any just for this photo, I used some scrap yarn instead that is far too slippery for a practical item of this kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment