Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Besotted Once Again

Yes, I really enjoyed the Besotted pattern and when Mark said he never had a hat before either, I knew what i'd make for his birthday. Matching his scarf, I made a hat that is quite plain apart from the Besotted pattern on the edge.

Materials:
  • 4 skeins of Schachenmayr Nomotta Catania (for the blue hat)
  • 4 skeins of Fabiani Balu (for the vanilla hat)
  • 4 mm circular needles
  • 4 mm DPNs
There is no particular pattern for this since I basically made it up as I went along. I began with the cabled edge, knitting a strip long enough to fit around the head, making sure to end in the middle of an x so it would join easily. Having sewed the ends together, I picked up the stitches along one side (wrong side) with the circular needles and knit for about 12 cm with a double thread. When that is done, the edge can be folded so that the pattern shows on the right side again. From then on, after a bit of math to figure out how to do this, I started the decrease, switching to DPNs when necessary (use your favourite hat decrease pattern). To finish, I sewed the thread through the last few stitches and wove in the ends.

When I began my vanilla coloured version, I tried to find a better way to fold the edge and purled a row or two where I wanted the fold to be. However, that didn't seem to make any difference at all and the bottom keeps looking like it is rolled. That is no problem, fortunately; I just thought it might be easier to fold along a purled row.

My lighter hat is quite a bit wider and stretchier than Mark's one due to the different yarns. 3 mm needles would have been fine too. 3-4 skeins of yarn are necessary since the hat is knitted with a double thread (apart from the cabled edge, of course). I really love Fabiani's yarns even though they have no natural fibres. They are incredibly soft and don't scratch at all. Also, they keep nicely warm and are very easy to work with. This is probably my favourite hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment