Monday, 31 March 2008

Like a Mermaid

These Nereid fingerless gloves from Sutherland Studios have been around for a while and were derived from Cookie A.'s Pomatomus socks featured in Knitty's 2005 winter issue.

Materials:
  • 2 skeins Fabiani Micro-Plus Colori
  • 2 mm DPNs
At first I was a little daunted by the look of it. Somehow it seemed very complicated and just reading through the instructions didn't help! However, I liked the pattern so much that I wanted to give the socks a try after all. In the end, I decided against yet another pair because I had just finished one and needed something different. Having already begun the Pomatomus socks before my decision, I simply knit on and added the thumb gusset, thus very easily turning a sock into a glove.

Having done that, it left me with little else to do. A few more rows of the nereid pattern, plus a ribbed edge were all that was missing.

In fact, I know someone who has knitted these without the ribbing, which looks just as good. Though my gloves fit well while they were still in progress, once I finished them they turned out to be a bit too long on the fingers. I would have done well to leave out the ribbing too, but the longer gloves are quite useful outdoors when it isn't quite cold enough for normal gloves, but not warm enough to go without either.

I used a stripy yarn here that, luckily, doesn't distract you from actually seeing the knitted pattern. However, the gloves do come out best in a yarn of a single colour or similar shades of a colour that do not form a pattern when knit. I am sure I will give that a try when I do finally make the socks! The pattern was very simple in the end and not at all as confusing as I had thoguht from looking at the instructions.

These were my first gloves of any kind and I liked the thumb gusset so much that I also used them on Rose's wrist warmers in the end. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains my favourite thumb gusset for a long time.

And, finally, since I studied literature, here is a book recommendation for you too:



No comments:

Post a Comment