Sunday, 30 March 2008

Doctor Who, Doomsday


The Doctor: [the Doctor is transmitting his image from the TARDIS] Here you are, living a life day after day. The one adventure I can never have.
Rose Tyler: [crying] Am I ever going to see you again?
The Doctor: You can't.
Rose Tyler
: What are you going to do?
The Doctor
: I've got the TARDIS. Same old life. The last of the Time Lords.
Rose Tyler: On your own? [the Doctor nods]
Rose Tyler
: I... I... I love you.
The Doctor
: Quite right, too. And I suppose... if this is the last chance I'll ever have to say it... Rose Tyler... [he fades away before he can finish]

This particular episode of Doctor Who is one of the most memorable featuring the 10th Doctor and Rose. Something else that is memorable for me are Rose's wrist warmers, which she wears in the last scenes. Being a knitter, of course I noticed them right away - but, oddly enough, I did not fancy them because I am not a fan of cable knits. It didn't take long, however, and I really wanted to give them a try after seeing so many people having knit them too and looking good with them. So here is the result!

The original ones by Christina Slattery are longer and a little narrower than mine. I only completed three diamond patterns and used the thumb gusset from Nereid fingerless gloves instead, keeping it shorter too. They are perfect for me this way! Ideally, they are nice to wear both indoors on a cold day or outdoors in the in-between seasons (fingerless doesn't cut it for me in winter, I fear). They are quickly done in a day or two - unless you are lazy like me and get easily bored by too many repeats.

Materials:
  • 1 skein Fabiani Balu
  • 3 mm DPNs
  • cable needle
  • Doctor Who DVDs for company
As you can see below, the palm side curls a little bit if only knit stitches are used. The original pattern suggests ribbing, which is probably a good idea unless you do not mind the curling. The wrist warmers are comfortable either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment